Sunday, July 29, 2012

Chicken Long Rice

I love this soup it's very comforting and filling and I love the long rice it, it makes it very thick.
I hope you will too..
perfect for those cold, NZ and Australian winters.

Ingredients:
4 to 5 pieces of chicken, thawed with skin removed (I cut as much of the meat off the bone as I can, but I still use the bone for the flavor or, you can also use a whole chicken cut up.)  
1 tablespoon butter
1 carrot (sliced thin)
1 onion  (chopped)
4 stems spring onion
2 teaspoon ginger (grated or sliced and chopped as thin as you can)
5 cups chicken stock (I use 5 teaspoons of powdered stock or cubed to 5 cups water)
1/2 can corn (I use the whole can so I don't have too store it, if you like corn use the whole can)
1/2 lb. Vermicelli (Lia Lia, Long Rice noodle, depends on where you live these are the names I've seen. Soak in 2 cup warm water to soften then cut, not too small add to soup with the water)
salt & pepper to taste

on high heat brown chicken about 3 minutes, add onion and ginger cook another 2 minutes ,
add chicken stock, cook on high until it boils about (20 minutes) add carrots & corn 
cook another 10 minutes then add lia lia cook for another 10 minutes or until it boils.
served topped with spring onions

*Check the flavor to make sure there is enough salt & pepper sometimes I add a little bit of chili flakes for some spice or Kikkoman or any Soya sauce it depends on your taste, possibilities are endless that's the great part of cooking your own food...Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mona, I was once at your family shop with the hot food section I believe it was 1998 would that have been right? I was with my mom Vilma visiting and your mom gave me the BEST Samoan pudding cake with sauce I have ever had. Would you have that recipe? Love your Blog. ~Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I love puligi...
      I use this recipe I found on the internet..http://www.samoa.as/recipe8.htm
      it's very good the only change I made was for the 5 tablespoon cinnamon in Samoa we always used nutmeg, so I change it to 3 tablespoons cinnamon to 2 tablespoon nutmeg. We used to serve it with New Zealands Edmunds custard but it's hard to find here, you can probably use the heat and serve Jello vanilla custard only thin it out a little and add some vanilla or if you like a homemade custard. It's alot of work but worth it, would be nice for Thanksgiving..let me know how it turns out. If you have any questions call me 808-744-7822..Good Luck

      Delete

 Chocolate Cream Pie 1 pre cooked and cooled pie crust ( search pie crust recipe on this site) 2-1/2 cups milk (plus another 1/2 cup for ble...